About I.Y.T.M.

My photo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Inspiring Youth Through Mentoring is a place for all mentors, parents and those needing and wanting to be mentored to come and share their experiences and life changing moments. I.Y.T.M. is family oriented and focuses on providing positive change for our youth. I.Y.T.M. supports all organizations for their services when it comes to helping the lives of our youth.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Importance of Mentoring

Let me be the first to say, from the standpoint of being an African-American man, I can speak to the need for more mentors in the African-American community. As someone who was raised by a single mom, I also know what it’s like to be a child wanting a male role model/ mentor.

Since 2003 I have been working with incarcerated youth and since 2008 I have been mentoring a young man through Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Atlanta. This experience has solidified my interest in working with youth, preferably for nonprofits. I’ve began to have a strong desire to work for a nonprofit and even start one, but for now I will continue to support those that exist.

I love the commitment I chose for mentoring youth. I draw energy from spending time with my little brother (mentee) and youth throughout the community, whether I have had a great day or a long, stressful one. Seeing the significant positive impact I have on one’s life is very rewarding and encourages me to continue and also encourage others to do the same.

IYTM would now like for you to share why you feel there's an importance for mentoring youth. Follow us on Twitter @ Inspiring Youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment